Dealing with a death

If Death Occurs At Home

  • Notify the surgery or contact NHS 111 if the death occurs out of hours.
  • Contact a funeral director.

You will need to contact the Town Hall in Maidenhead to register the death. This needs to be done within five days of death. Please call the Registrar on 01628 796 422 to arrange an appointment to do this.

Your GP surgery will issue a medical certificate showing the cause of death and this will be needed when you see the Registrar. You should also have available, but don’t worry if not, the person’s:

  • birth certificate
  • Council Tax bill
  • driving licence
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • NHS medical card
  • passport
  • proof of address (eg utility bill)

You’ll need to tell the registrar:

  • the person’s full name at the time of death
  • any names previously used, eg maiden name
  • the person’s date and place of birth
  • their last address
  • their occupation
  • the full name, date of birth and occupation of a surviving or late spouse or civil partner
  • whether they were getting a State Pension or any other benefits

You should also take supporting documents that show your name and address (eg a utility bill) but you can still register a death without them.

When you register a death you’ll get:

  • a Certificate for Burial or Cremation (the ‘green form’) - gives permission for burial or an application for cremation
  • a Certificate of Registration of Death (form BD8) - you may need to fill this out and return it if the person was getting a State Pension or benefits (the form will come with a pre-paid envelope so you know where to send it)

If The Death Occurs In Hospital

  • Contact a funeral director to inform them that their services are required.
  • Collect the certificate from the hospital and contact the registrar to register the death.


  • Your funeral director will usually liaise directly with the surgery regarding the additional certification required.

The charity Cruse exists to help people to cope with bereavement -

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website